Tuesday, July 29, 2014

mourning the loss of a bwtwo

Since it seems like we got extended play in this compo, I decided to
go for broke and wow the judges with something that's never been done
on a Sun 3/50's bwtwo before (beyond just a techtech on a crt, or
getting it amped up and on an lcd panel, though I do wonder if I was
the first to get these things happening as well).

Just like Damon, stabbed in the chest for no apparent reason by the
riverside at the end of the last episode, the poor little bwtwo in
my Sun 3/50 got stabbed in the V+ line with approximately 5 volts as
the competition is coming to a close.

Before I get hate from the Sun fans, let me say that I luv these systems
too, and would never intentionally harm one (my project is to restore one,
remember?), it's just one of those things like Icarus reaching too far
and his wax wings melting in the sun (nee daylight), well, I melted my Sun.
These things happen.

Actually the system still works fine, and even passes all the diagnostics,
but it doesn't output a video signal anymore, and I don't have time to
debug it, so I did a Schroeder and pulled the next unit out of storage
(there's more where this came from too: thanks to admash's hardware
donation I've got a lifetime supply of Sun 3/50 units) and will be
finishing up using the board from it instead of the one I started with.
Obviously I'm keeping the already-retr0brited case and accessories.

This new board is green-coloured instead of yellowish brown, and seems
to have the older rom revision since there aren't as many diagnostics.
Notably, the memory test I did on the original board I was using isn't
there on this board, so I haven't actually done as thorough of tests
on it. I'll probably swap the roms at some point, but I was just trying
to get back in the game for the moment.

What was I trying to do? Well since the compo isn't over yet, I don't
want to spoil the surprise and show my cards yet; hopefully we'll get
to see it working before the time ticks away, and even more, hopefully
I don't kill another bwtwo. This wasn't supposed to be a blog about
destroying bwtwo kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment