Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Progress update...

So ethernet was no big deal, however I did have to flip all switches of the dip block near the ethernet port to get it to use the 10Base2 (It was previously selected for the AUI port). And the mouse swap was no trouble, except the swap wouldn't have worked so easily if I had gone the other way since there is an additional gromet on the Sun 4 mouse cord where it goes into the mouse that wasn't there in the Sun 3 variation, and prevents the cord from fitting.

For a development workstation, I chose to use a Dell Dimension 4600, which was made in early 2004, thus meeting the competition guidelines. I'm running Plan 9 Fourth Edition, since that earlier opensource version still ships the 68020 assembler/compiler 2a/2c: I was surprised to find that a modern install of Plan 9 is lacking these components, which are critical to development for this Sun 3 project.

To boot, put the Sun 3's mac address in /lib/ndb/local along with a bootf (bootfile) value pointing to the file you want to boot. I have been writing simple C programs, and compiling them with 2c for use as boot files. To run the services, use ip/dhcpd, ip/rarpd, and ip/tftpd.

Unless I'm severely missing something, the bwtwo has no vertical retrace interrupt, and no double buffering, so ... frame tearing is excessive to say the least. Watch this space. I've got something planned: if it works. For now, enjoy the still shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment